This is one of my family 'quick to table' recipes. You can even put it in the 'make-ahead' recipe list and use it for multiple things. it can be used as a pasta sauce, sauce for grills or bakes and so much more.
This is the base recipe that was handed down to me from my mom. Who in turn learnt it from my grandma. My grandfather was a decorated army officer and travelled a lot. This enabled my grandmother to learn from British cooks and chefs. Her recipe collection is unmatched. Be it Continental, British, Indian, Chinese or Burmese, she had the best recipes.
Time : super quick
Level : super easy
You can also find the "how to make this" video on my instagram.
1.2 lt milk
2 tbsp atta
1 cup of diced mixed vegetables
1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic
1 small green chilli optional
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Herbs as required
Salt to taste
MAKE THE SAUCE
- In a bowl add the atta and a little milk and mix to get a smooth paste.
- Add the paste to a pan. Add the remaining milk slowly, mixing to ensure there are no lumps
- Add salt, pepper and herbs and cook on low flame, stirring continuously till it starts to thicken slightly
- Cut the vegetables in similar shapes and sizes to allow even cooking and keep aside
- Add a little oil to a hot pan
- Add the chopped garlic and sauce for 2 minutes
- Add the vegetables and let them cook for 5 mins
- Once cooked add this to the white sauce and stir well.
METHOD NON VEGETARIAN
- Put a little oil in a pan and stir fry the chicken cubes till cooked
- At step 4 add small cooked chicken
- Once cooked add in the white sauce and mix well
- Vegetables - add a large variety for flavour
- The atta milk mixture will keep thickening
- Vegetables I used - carrot, beans, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, coloured capsicum
- Pasta : cook as per instructions and add it in before adding the sauce