I love Chinese soups and the Manchow has been one of my favourite because of the crunchy noodles to be honest.
I am not one for deep fried so here is my twist on this recipe. It's a healthier version loaded with nutrients and a low calorie version of the noodles.
Ingredients and Preparation
For the Stock
Peels of vegetables (available to you ,should be washed and kept )
10-12 french beans cut into big pieces
Few coriander roots and stem and little leaves ,spring onions ,centre(stem)of cabbage ,1 corn cut into 2 ,1 tbsp chopped garlic ,1 tbsp chopped ginger 1/4 tsp salt
Boil all of the above for 30 mins on low flame once it comes to boil .
Do stir in between
5 minutes before removing from the flame ,add a little coriander leaves to the stock,mix it in .
Then strain and keep the stock aside .
Discard the vegetables .
For the corn
Remove the kernels from the corn and keep aside .
For the noodles
Boil one small packet of noodles (or as per requirement )and keep aside
Add 1/2-3/4 tsp of cornflour to the boiled noodles and mix it in well.
Take a pan add 1-2 tsp of oil and heat the oil
Then spread the noodles on the pan and cook on low flame so that it gets crisp .
When the noodles start changing colour ,flip the side and do the same on the other side .
When done break into pieces and keep aside.
Instead of a pan can be put in air fryer as well ,in the same way .
Ingredients for the soup
4-5 cups of ready stock
1 tbsp of oil
1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic
1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger
1 tbsp of finely chopped green chillies
Boiled /cooked corn kernels
1/2 cup chopped carrots (should be tiny cubes )
1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
5-7 bulbs of spring onions cut into thin round slices (can use 1 onion chopped instead if you prefer )
1/2 cup finely chopped french beans
1/2 cup chopped spring onions
3-4 big mushrooms chopped small
5-6 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp of dark soya sauce
1 tbsp of tomato sauce
1 tbsp of chilli sauce
2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp of sugar
1/2-3/4 tsp of pepper powder
Salt to taste (very little is required as the sauces have there own salt and stock has little also)
2 tsp cornflour mixture/slurry
Take a pan /kadhai add the oil ,heat the oil
Then add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies and stir fry on high flame for a minute or so
Then add the cut spring onion bulbs ,chopped carrots and cabbage
Stir fry for few seconds
Then add the chopped french beans and little less than 1/2 tsp of pepper powder
Stir fry for few minutes
Now add chopped spring onions and mix it in well
Then add the chopped mushrooms and stir fry for few seconds
Add 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and mix it in
Now add the soya sauce ,chilli sauce,tomato sauce and 1 tsp of sugar
Mix everything in well together and stir fry for few seconds
Now add the stock and the corn kernels
When the soup come to boil slowly add the cornflour mixture /slurry ,stirring continuously
Thicken the soup as per choice .
Then add the vinegar and salt to taste .
Mix it in
Lastly add 2-3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves, 1 tsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp of pepper powder
Mix it in well Stir fir few seconds and done .
Garnish with chopped spring onions and crispy noodles.
Do serve some crispy noodles on the side .
RECIPE WITH PROCESS SHOTS
Let's start with making a nice stock. This is a vegetarian stock but you can add chicken bones to it to make it non veg.
The stock is the base of every soup and we need to infuse this with as much flavour as possible.
Add 5 cups of water and let it come to a boil
5 minutes before removing from the flame Add a little of coriander leaves and let it cook for 5 minutes .
After 30 minutes remove the pan and keep aside .
Strain and keep the stock aside .
Keep the corn and remove kernels and keep aside.
Use the remaining vegetables in roti or in any form you would like.
Make the crispy noodles
Boil noodles and keep aside till cool.
Add a little cornflour to coat the noodles a bit.
Take a pan put 1-2 tsp oil on it and heat the oil .
Spread the noodles all over the pan and cook on low flame ,so that it gets crisp
When it starts getting brown ,flip the side and do the same
When done break into pieces and keep aside
LET'S MOVE TO THE SOUP ITSELF
- Take a kadhai, add 1 tbsp of oil and heat the oil ,when the oil is hot add 1 tbsp of finely chopped garlic, 1 tbsp of finely chopped ginger and 1 tbsp of chopped green chillies.
- When you start getting a nice fragrance Add 1/2 cup chopped carrots, 1/2 cup chopped cabbage and 5-7 bulbs of the spring onions cut into thin round slices (can use 1 onion chopped also)
- Stir fry for few seconds
- Add 1/2 cup finely chopped French beans and 1 tsp pepper powder and stir fry for few minutes
- Now add 1/2 cup chopped spring onions and mix it in well
- Chop 3-4 mushrooms into tiny pieces and add it to the kadhai and stir fry
- Add 2 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and mix it in
- Now add 1 tbsp of dark soya sauce, 1 tbsp of tomato sauce, 1 tbsp of chilli sauce and 1 tsp of sugar
- Mix everything in well and stir for few seconds
- Add the 4 -5 cups of stock and the boiled corn kernels to the kadhai
- Mix 2-3 tsp of cornflour in a bowl and when the soup comes to boil add the cornflour mixture stirring continuously.
- Thicken as per choice
- Now add 2 tsp of vinegar and salt to taste and mix it in
- Lastly add 2-3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves,1 tsp of sugar and 1/4 tsp pepper powder to the soup .
- Mix it in well .
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and crispy noodles .
- Serve some crispy noodles on the side as well .