Carry these as a snack and have anytime plain or with my no cook jam, hummus or hung curd dip.
Healthy Seed Crackers
Level : Easy
Serving : Makes 2 baking sheets of crisp crackers
120 grams of mixed seeds
1 tbsp. chia seeds
1 tbsp. psyllium seed husks / isabgol (little less if you are using powder)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
80 ml water
2 large dried fig / 2 dates chopped / dried cranberry
- In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, stirring well.
- Whisk honey, oil and water together in a measuring cup. Add this to the dry ingredients and mix very well until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick (if the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable).
- Divide the dough roughly in half, and set aside one half.
- Place one half of the dough back into the bowl and add any flavouring you like. Gather into a ball and place it between two sheets of baking paper. Using a rolling pin, firmly roll out into a thin sheet. Remove top layer of baking paper and using the tip of a knife, score the dough into shapes you like (I chose large rectangles but it’s up to you). Repeat with remaining half of dough. Let sit out on the counter for at least 2 hours, or all day or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Using the baking paper, slide the dough onto a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cookie sheet from oven, flip the whole cracker over (if it breaks a bit, don’t worry!) and peel the baking paper off of the back. Return to oven to bake for another 10 minutes, until fully dry, crisp, and golden around the edges.
- Let cool completely, then break crackers along their scored lines and store in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
- SEED MIX : you can buy a premixed bag else make your own mix. I used sunflower, watermelon, pumpkin, black and white sesame and flax seeds
- Watch the crackers to ensure they don’t burn
- You can add any flavouring of your choice to make it savoury or sweet as per your liking
- You can make these in any shape. Use cookie cutters or make shapes of your own