I love a crunchy snack. Sometimes I crave something sweet, sometimes salty and spicy, really depends on my mood. Usually when i don't care for my dinner, i feel mentally unsatisfied. I know I'm not hungry but i just feel like something sweet. Most things we eat as post dinner sweet cravings are so calorie dense. Even 2 pieces of chocolate can reach a 100 calories. 2 pieces isn't even satisfying.
This recipe was born from necessity. I wanted something crunchy, chocolaty but low calorie for the amount i wanted to snack on. This turned out to be a big hit with friends, family and especially my little t-rex's friends !!!
It's simple to make and quick, like all my recipes.
I would recommend using corn kernels and not microwaveable popcorn. You can use a cooker or any pot that you can cover to make the corn pop. If you have one of the little popcorn maker machines then that's great too. Just remember there are many ways to do this.
SIMple Tip : think of some add-ins. Roasted chopped almonds and orange rinds work so well. Something sweet yet tangy tastes awesome. Even a little chilli powder to make chilli chocolate popcorn.
Note : you can use regular chocolate as well but it wont go back to hard consistency as quickly as cooking chocolate. As a cheat you can put the pop corn in the freezer for 1 to 2 mins and the chocolate will harden.
Here is a quick video as well
15 undefined minutes
The simplicity and burst of flavour will surprise you. It is hard to eat just a handful so be watchful. Perfect for that late nigh chocolate craving.
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 2 pieces chocolate
- Place corn kernels in a cooker
- Put on medium heat and cover the cooker, without the weight (whistle)
- Shake the cooker a bit, till you hear the corn start to pop
- Give is a shake and turn heat to low. Shake a few time to help the corn kernels at the bottom
- Once the popping sound stops, open the cooker
- Place the popped corn in a different bowl
- In the warm cooker, with the heat off, add the chocolate
- It will melt quickly, ensure it doesn't burn
- Add the plain pop corn back in and stir to coat with chocolate
- I like to eat immediately otherwise store in an airtight container
Use small dried corn kernels available in regular stores.
Use a pan with a lid if you don't have a cooker
Avoid packed microwave popcorn
Cooking / baking chocolate works best but anything will work
Ensure the chocolate does not burn