Sukha Chatpatta Baigan (Brinjal)
- 300 gms of small brinjal (each brinjal cut into 4 pieces)
- 2 tbsp of chopped garlic
- 1 tsp aamchur (dry mango) powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida ( hing)
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds (big)
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp of whole coriander (dhania)
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- 10-12 curry patta leaves
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp of oil
- Dry roast the cumin, coriander, mustard seeds and peanuts in a flat bottomed pan, till you get a nice fragrance and colour changes. Remove from heat and keep aside till it cools down and then grind to a powder.
- In a pan add oil and let it warm.
- Add in chopped garlic and stir fry for a few minutes
- Add the cut brinjal and stir fry for few minutes, then lower flame and stir fry till the brinjal is half done.
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, chilli flakes and salt and mix it in
- Continue to cook the brinjal till is is about 90% done.
- Now add the ground powder and mix it in well
- Add the curry patta leaves and stir fry for few minutes
- Once the brinjal is cooked move the brinjal to the sides of the pan
- In the center put 1 tsp oil, once it is warn add the asafoetida
- When it starts cooking / spluttering, mix it in with the brinjal
- Now add in the aamchur powder and cook for a few more minutes till done.
Note: Since we are using very little oil the masala might stick to the pan. As and when the masala sticks to the pan add 2-3 tbsp of water and stir fry .