I love variety in my food. This uses the humble Lauki or bottle gourd so easily available in India. Try this twist and tag me on Instagram if you do as @simrun.chopra
You can find the step by step process shots of this recipe here
- 1/2 medium size lauki
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 1/2 medium size tomatoes chopped
- Few green chillies chopped Pinch
- 3-4 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp kashmiri chilli powder (for colour)
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/4 tsp red chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp oil/ghee
- Place a wire rack on the flame and place the lauki on it and roast the skin, like it's done for brinjal.
- Once it is well roasted keep it aside to cool
- When it cools down, peel the skin off and put the lauki in a chopper and chop or grind till coarse. Keep aside
- In a pan heat your oil or ghee and once warm add the the asafoetida and the whole cumin and stir for few seconds
- Once the cumin starts spluttering add the chopped onions and garlic
- Stir fry on medium flame till the onions are translucent
- Now add the grated ginger and stir fry for a minute use or so till the raw smell of the ginger disappears.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes and green chillies and saute till the tomatoes become soft
- Add salt to taste ,1/4 tsp turmeric powder, red chilli powder to taste and 1/2 tsp of kashmiri chilli powder (for colour)
- Saute till the masala becomes totally soft
- Add the chopped ground lauki and mix it in well
- Saute for few minutes and cover and cook on low flame, stirring in between, till the lauki is cooked .
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and saute for few minutes.
- Optional - Now can add a tadka on top, put 1 tsp ghee in a pan, when warm add chilli flakes and put it on top of the bharta.
- Serve hot