- 1.5 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons ground cumin
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced crosswise ¼ inch thick
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 wheat breads, toasted
- shredded cabbage, cilantro leaves and pickled jalapeños and carrots, for serving
- Heat a grill pan. In a large bowl, whisk the oil with the cumin and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the eggplants to the bowl and toss to evenly coat. Working in batches, grill the eggplants over moderate heat, turning, until tender, about 5 minutes per batch.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice. Spread the mashed avocado on the bottom buns.
- Top with the eggplants, cabbage, cilantro and pickled jalapeños and carrots, close the buns and serve.