This is a quick simple recipe that can be hand on its own or preferably with a side of vegetables or even a raita.
- 1 1/2 cup rice
- 1/2 cup moong dal
- 3 tbsp refined oil/ghee
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp cummin
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- 1 tbsp of raw urad dal
- 8-10 cashews
- 12 -15 curry patta
- Few slitted green chillies
- according to taste
- 2 tsp fi ely chopped ginger (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups of water
- Dry roast the dal and rice in a pan on low flame for 7-10 mins
- Once done, remove the pan from the heat and let the dal and rice cool down.
- Once it has cooled wash it a few time and then add to a pressure cooker. ( if you have gut issues see notes)
- Add 4 cups of water (can add more or less depending on the consistency you would like )
- Add a salt to taste. The water should taste salty like sea water.
- Place the lid and weight of the pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for 1 whistle
- Once the whistle goes off, switch off the heat and set aside to allow the pressure cooker to release pressure.
- Carefully open once all the pressure has been released
- Keep the cooker aside
For the tarka :
- Take a kadhai add 3 tbsp of refined oil/ghee
- When the oil is warm add 1/4 tsp asafoetida and 1/2tsp whole cummin
- Then add 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Stir for few seconds and add 1 tbsp of raw urad dal ,8-10 cashews and 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- Stir and add 12-15 curry patta leaves and few slitted green chillies (chillies optional)
- Roast everything for few minutes till the cashews start changing colour
- Now add the tarka to the cooker and mix it into the cooked rice and dal
- Taste the pongal for salt. If you need to add more salt, dissolve it in a little water and then add to the pongal.
- If the dal and rice is too thick, you can add a little hot water to give it a softer consistency, like khichdi.
- Serve with a side of vegetables or raita
1. Thin sliced ginger : this is optional but can be added at the tadka stage or with the dal and rice while cookering
2. Green chillies : optional
3. If you have gut issues it is best to soak all grains before cooking. Here you can wash and soak it for atleast 30 minutes.