- 1 cup black urad dal (whole )
- 1tbsp ghee (3 tsp)
- 1 tsp butter (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 4 tomatoes pureed
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 tsp dry kasturi methi leaves
- 1/4 cup cashew (made into a smooth paste )
- First wash the dal 3-5 times,by rubbing it so that the colour fades a little .
- Then soak the dal for a minimum of 2 hours
- Drain the water and put the dal in a pressure cooker.
- Add 6 cups of water and 1 1/2 tsp ghee .
- Put the lid on the cooker and cook to one whistle then lower the stove /heat to low and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Let the pressure cooker open naturally.
- When the dal is cooked mash it slightly and keep aside .
- Take a pan and add 11/2 tsp of ghee
- Warm the ghee for a few seconds then add the ginger-garlic paste and saute on medium to low heat till it's fragrant, the raw smell of the ginger garlic is gone.
- Next add the kashmiri red chilli powder and stir it in for a few seconds
- Then add the tomato puree and salt ,saute on medium to low heat till the oil separates or you see it coming out on the sides.
- (When the water of the tomato dries up you will see the oil will seep out )
- Now add the cooked dal and cook on absolutely low heat for a minute or so
- Then add the dry kasturi methi leaves and cook for 10 -15 minutes on a low heat
- Do keep stirring in between
- Now add the cashew paste (check below) and mix it in well and let it cook for a few more minutes
- It's ready, serve hot with a side of pickled onions and laccha paratha
- Optional : to garnish can add 1 tsp of butter just before serving .
Method to make the cashew paste :
Put the cashews along with 1/4 cup of water and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften the cashews
Once the cashews cools down add it to a grinder and grind with a pinch of salt.
Add the warm leftover water gradually till you get a smooth paste like a cream.
It should be thick like cream with no grains. At this point your cashew cream is ready
Note : once cooled the dal becomes thicker.
You can change the consistency according to your personal preference, by adding warm water as needed. Remember to adjust the salt as well.