Here is a simple recipe. Make sure you scroll to the bottom for the Notes
- 1 cup (raw) rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 cups of finely cut cabbage
- 1 cup chopped spring onions
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce (optional but recommended)
- 1 -1 1/2 tsp dark soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper powder (black/white)
- Cook the rice and keep aside. The rice should be a little firmer or undercooked. Preferably a day old rice or rice cooked a couple of hours before works best. (Check notes)
- Beat four eggs with a pinch of salt and keep aside
- Take a kadhai or wok and warm the oil till it just starts smoking
- Add the beaten eggs to the hot oil in the kadhai
- Do not stir the eggs, wait and when it starts browning from below but the egg is still soft on the top add the cooked rice on to the egg
- Mix the rice and egg together and stir fry for 5-7 minutes
- Next add 2 -3 cups of finely cut cabbage
- Mix it in well and stir fry for another 5 minutes. The cabbage should remain crunchy
- Next add the finely chopped spring onions, mix it in well and stir fry for 5 minutes
- Now add each sauce one at a time while mixing in between. First add the light soya sauce, mix it in then add the oyster sauce, mix again and finally add 1 to 1.5 tsp of the dark soy sauce and mix well.
- To finish off mix in the black /white pepper. Stir fry for few minutes and it is ready to serve .
- Rice : Always slightly undercook your rice. This allows it to cook through during the stir fry. Avoid using over cooked or hot rice as it will continue to cook and become mushy.
- Adding Non Veg : if you want to add any form of non veg. First stir fry chicken/prawn/meat and keep aside. Then add it to the fried rice at the end, just few minutes before removing it from the stove.
- Cooking : cook the entire recipe on medium heat
- Spring Onions : chop and use without the onion bulbs. These can be used in a different recipe.
- Dark Soya that I use : click here
- Light Soya that I use : click here
- Oyster Sauce I use – click here this is optional as this is non vegetarian
- Salt : if you find the salt to be less, dissolve a little salt in a little water, then pour it into the noodles for it to mix in properly.