I love momos especially pan fried momos with their crisp bottoms.
Here is a simple way to make pan fried momos and you can check step by step videos here
Makes approximately 20 momos
Ingredients for the wrapper
- 125 gms flour ( maida ), plus more for rolling and dusting
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup of water + 1 tbsp (about 75 ml)
Make the momo wrapper
- Mix the flour and salt in a large bowl
- Create a small well and add the water 1tbsp at a time while mixing together.
- You can use chopsticks, a fork or you hands to mix the water into the flour
- Once the dough is well mixed, place it on a floured surface and knead for 15 to 20 mins till it is soft and elastic
- Cover the dough with a damp towel and let is rest for 30 mins. This is a great time to work on your filling.
- Once the dough has rested for 30 minutes, place it on a surface dusted with flour and knead for another 5 mins
- Roll it out into a large log and cut out equal portions, similar in size or weight. I got 16 wrappers.
- Cover the cut portions with a damp towel
- Take one and press flat with your palm as you would a roti
- Roll it out like a very small roti that is about 1 mm thick and about 4inch diameter.
- It doesn’t need to be perfectly round but if you prefer it to be, just cut it with a cup or lid to get a perfect circle
- Cover the wrappers with a damp cloth to prevent them from drying out
Make the momos
- Work with one wrapper at a time.
- Place a large tablespoon of your filling of choice in the centre of the momo wrapper
- Dip you finger in a little water and run it over one edge
- Fold the wrapper in half like a small closed taco
- Press down the sides firmly
- Fold the edged like a little fan. You can watch it here
- Place the wrapped momos on plate and cover with a damp towel as you prep the remaining momos
Pan fry the momos
- In a large non stick pan or well seasoned cast iron pan add about 1 tbsp of oil and heat at medium heat
- Place the momos with the pleat side up and press them down to flatten the base.
- Cook uncovered till the base has a nice brown crisp - about 3 to 4 minutes
- Add 1/2 a cup of water for about 8 momos to the pan and cover with a lid
- Cook for about 5 - 7 minutes
- Uncover and cook till the water dries up and the base of the momos are crisp.
- If you want to crisp them more, add a little oil to help crisp them up.
- Serve immediately with base side up and my Chinese sweet chilli sauce