Make the Spice Mix - we make our own masala
We also grind all our masalas from scratch at home. For example we buy coriander seads, roast and grind it
- 2 1/2 cups raw chola (soak overnight or for 7-8 hours , but if you need it quickly can soak it in warm - hot water for 4-5 hours )
- 1 cup channa dal (washed)
- 7 cups of water
- Ready all the ingredients together and keep in a plate :
- 2 " pc ginger cut in julienne
- 5-10 green or red fresh chillies
- 3 tbsp of channa masala or tikiya kashmiri masala
- 1/4 cup dry pomegranate seeds ground to a paste or
- 3 tbsp of annardana powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1tbsp of roasted coriander powder
- 2 tbsp of cumin powder
- 1 tbsp of roasted cumin powder
- 1 tbsp of punjabi garam masala
- 2 tbsp kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coarsely ground dry chilli
- 3/4 tbsp black salt
- salt to taste (keeping in mind that salt was put during cooking and black salt is also there)
For the tarka
- 3 tbsp ghee
- 1 1/4 tsp whole cumin
- 1 tsp kashmiri chilli powder
- Wash and soak the chola /chickpeas overnight or for 7-8 hours
- If in a hurry can soak for 4-5 hours in warm- hot water .
- Wash and add the channa dal to the chola
- Then add 7 cups of water and a little salt (Use the same cup which was used for measuring the chola and channa dal)
- Cook in a pressure cooker for 1/2 an hour after the first whistle on low flame .When done let the cooker open naturally.
- When the cooker opens
- Need to check and see if the chola has become soft , if it is still a little under cooked , cook for few more minutes .
- When the cooker opens naturally
- Add all the spices , ginger and green chillies to the boiled chola and cook on medium flame till the rawness of the spices goes .
- Cook on low to medium flame once it starts bubbling , keep stirring in between
- When the gravy becomes a little thick , it is ready .
- Have to leave a little more gravy than what you would like , as the gravy will thicken when it cools down .
- If that happens can add hot water and cook for few minutes
- At this stage can check for salt, chillies and sourness
- Adjust according to taste .
- If you feel that you require a little more sourness can add dry mango powder as per taste .
- Lastly for the tarka , take a small pan add the ghee , warm it a little
- Then add the whole cumin when it starts spluttering
- Add kashmiri red chilli powder
- Stir for few seconds
- Add to the cooked chola
- Take a little cooked chola and put it in the tarka pan and then add it to the chola
- Ready to serve