This has been a favourite with my friends through school and is my Mom's Secret Recipe. This is the first time we are sharing this recipe and I hope you like it.
Soya Nuggets in Garlic Sauce
- 200 gms pkt soya chunks
- 1 cup tomato puree (packaged)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp dark soya sauce
- 2 tbsp red chilli sauce
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped spring onions
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 tbsp cornflour slurry ( cornflour mixed in about ¼ cup of water)
Ingredients for Crispy Soya chunks
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped spring onions
Soya Chunks Marination and Cooking
- Cook the soya chunks as per instruction on the packet
- Once cooked squeeze out all the water and let it sit in a strainer for 15-20 mins to drain any excess water. Squeeze once more before moving to the next step.
- Marinate the soya chunks with 1 tbsp flour,1 1/2 tbs cornflour, salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and 1/4 cup of the chopped spring onions
- Mix everything together, then brush oil in a pan and place the soya chunks on it and cook on slow fire till it browns and becomes crisp.( Alternatively use an airfryer)
- Repeat till all the soy chunks are cooked and crispy.
- Keep aside
- Heat the oil in a wok / kadhai for 30 to 40 secs
- Then add the chopped garlic and stir fry till it starts changing colour
- Now remove wok /kadhai from the stove and add the red chilli sauce, tomato sauce, soya sauce, salt, sugar and spring onions ,mix it in. ( Removing the wok / kadhai from the stove while mixing prevents the sauces from sticking or burning)
- Then place the wok/kadhai back on the stove and stir fry for 30-40 seconds.
- Then add the tomato puree stir for 30-40 seconds before adding in the hot water.
- Continue to cook till the sauce starts bubbling.
- Once the sauce is bubbling add the cornflour slurry to the sauce while stirring continuously.
- Add slurry according to the thickness of the gravy you would like. Just remember the sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- At this stage check for salt, sweet, sour and chillies, adjust according to taste. For sweetness more add tomato sauce, for a little more sour add little tomato puree and for more chillies add the red chilli sauce .
- Add add the cooked soya chunks to the sauce and cook for 20-30 seconds. Remove from stove .
- Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve
- Crispy Soya Nuggets : if 1 egg is added in the soya chunks marination ,the soya chunks become crisper.
- Spring Onions : chop and use without the onion bulbs. These can be used in a different recipe.
- Dark Soya that I use : click here
- Soya Chunks : Use the large ones. Do not use the minced ones for this recipe.