Traditionally Fermented Vegetables
This is an age old recipe based down generations in our family. We would drink a bit of the liquid with a few of the vegetables pre dinner.
However you can just have a few of the vegetables with a meal.
Note : Fermentation means there is live bacteria, please ensure you store this well.
- 2 medium size carrots peeled and cut into strips
- 2 medium size beetroot peeled and cut into strips
- 2 medium size radish peeled and cut into strips
- (Little thinner than french fries about 11/2"-2" in length)
- 2-3 cauliflower florets cut into thick flat pieces ,if putting florets then cut medium to small florets
- 4-5 pieces of cauliflower stems cut into strips like the other vegetables
- 2" piece ginger julienne (thin strips)
- 2 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp black salt
- 1 tsp mustard powder (Pound black mustard seed with a pinch of salt to make this powder)
- Can add 1/2 tsp yellow mustard and 1/2 tsp black mustard if a milder flavour is preferred .
- 500-700 ml of water
- In a clean bottle start layering the vegetables one by one.
- Add in the water
- Now add the pounded mustard powder, black salt and red chilli flakes
- Mix it in well,cover the top of the bottle with a muslin cloth ( as in the pic) then put the lid .
- Place the bottle on a window sil where sun comes for 3-5 days .
- Everyday stir once or twice during the day
- In 3 days taste and adjust chillies and salt according to taste. it should taste sour once done
- Place in a refrigerator post the 3 day fermentation process