This is one of my childhood favourites. Simple yet lip smackingly good.
I personally love to squeeze the red chillies into the dal while eating, giving it that added hit of spice.
- 1 cup raw masoor dal
- 1 + 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 whole corn 🌽 cut into pieces
- 6 - 10 Whole red chillies
- Tamarind - golf ball size
- 4 cups of water
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- Wash and soak the dal to reduce phytic acid and increase digestibility
- Add 1/2 cup warm water to the tamarind pulp to get a liquid. Strain to remove the tamarind seeds and strings
- Add 4 cups of water, salt and corn to the pressure cooker. Cook on slow flame for 25 mins post whistle
- Open and add the washed and drained dal
- Add the red chilli powder and turmeric
- Put the pressure cooker lid and let cook till just before the first whistle. Put off the flame
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a small kadhai and once warm add the mustard seeds
- Add the dry whole red chillies and stir for a minute
- Add this tadka to the dal and mix
- Add the tamarind pulp water to taste
- Check and adjust the salt as the tamarind liquid might reduce the salt
If you are on any of my programs - corn is starchy vegetable, please accommodate that as per your diet plan.