A light quick and simple kadhi. This is a thin and light consistency compared to the Punjabi version. It is traditionally made with vegetables in the south over pakoras.
- 1 1/2-2 tbsp of refined oil
- 1/2 kg curd (used home made curd)
- 1 1/2 tsp of besan (chickpeas flour)
- 1/2 of a big bottle gourd (cut into big cubes with the skin)
- 1 onion (chopped into big cubes)
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- Few slitted green chillies to taste
- 6-10 curry leaves
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin
For the curd :
- Add salt, red chilli powder, coriander powder and besan to the curd and whip it in a mixer grinder or juicer to get a smooth consistency and keep aside .
For the bottle gourd :
- Put the cut bottle gourd in a pressure cooker with 1 cup of water and pinch of salt
- Place the lid and weight of the pressure cooker and cook on medium heat for 1 whistle then lower the flame completely and cook for 5 minutes .
- Switch off the heat and set aside to allow the pressure cooker to release pressure.
- Carefully open once all the pressure has been released
- Keep aside and do not drain the water .
For the kadhi :
- Warm the oil in a kadhai or pan
- Add the mustard seeds and whole cummin
- When it starts spluttering, add the chopped ginger, slitted green chillies and the chopped onions cubes and stir for a few minutes
- Lower the heat and slowly add the curd to the kadhai stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming.
- Mix in the 1/2 tsp turmeric powder followed by 6-10 curry patta leaves
- Add 1/2 cup of water slowly while continuously stirring the kadhi
- Add the cooked bottle gourd and the remaining water in the cooker, to the kadhi
- Taste the kadhi for salt and add as desired
- Let the kadhi cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch of the flame and serve with rice
If you are on the new reboot programs, this recipe is also in the app.
Under "sim's family recipes"