Squash (Chow chow) Chutney
- 1 1/2-2 cups of cut squash
- 1/2-1 cup of squash skin (optional)
- 5-6 tsp of oil
- 1 cup sliced fresh coconut
- 1/4 cup thick tamarind pulp
- 2 1/2 tbsp of urad dal
- 5-6 whole red chillies
- 10-15 curry patta leaves
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4-1/2 tsp whole mustard seeds
- Salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in 1/4-1/2 cup of water to make a thick pulp
- Cut the squash in cubes with the skin ,can scrape a little if you like ,keep aside
- Take a kadhai add 2 tsp oil it it
- Warm the oil a little then add the urad dal and whole red chillies, stir fry till the dal becomes beige brown
- Remove the urad dal and red chillies from the kadhai and keep aside
- In the same kadhai add 1 tsp oil
- Add the cut squash and stir fry for few minutes
- Now add little salt and 1 cup water to the squash
- When the water begins to bubble, lower the flame and cover and cook till the squash is cooked.
- Remove the squash and keep aside
- Take a grinder ,add the browned urad dal ,red chillies ,tamarind pulp and the fresh coconut
- Grind to a paste ,then add salt to taste ,keeping in mind that salt has been put in the squash .
- Grind again
- Now add the cooked squash to the grinder and grind everything together to a paste .
- Then keep aside
- Now take a kadhai add 2 tsp oil ,heat the oil a little
- Add the asafoetida and the mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering add the curry patta leaves
- Stir fry for few seconds
- Now pour the tarka on the ground paste .
- Slightly give it a mix .
- Ready to serve
Can adjust red chillies and tamarind according to personal choice
Here I have incorporated the discarded skin of squash which I used to make the vegetable .