A simple recipe you can have with a side of raita or even a curry.
Just remember Coconut is a fat, so try to reduce the fats in the remaining meal.
If you use this or any of my recipes. Please tag me on Instagram @simrun.chopra and use #nourishwithsim
- 2 tbsp of ghee/oil
- 1 cup rice (wash and soak for 1/2 hr minimum)
- 1 cup thick coconut milk (can use pkt)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 green cardamom
- 2" pc cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 tomatoes cut in 4
- 1 tbsp of curry patta leaves
- 1 big onion sliced
- 2 onions cut into 4
- 2-3 green chillies chopped (optional)
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- Salt according to taste.
- Wash rice and let it soak for a minimum of 1/2 n hour.
- In a cooker, add the ghee/oil ,let it become warm .
- Then add the mustard seeds ,cardamom, clove and cinnamon stick.
- Let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Then add the cut tomatoes and stir for few minutes.
- Do not cook the tomatoes completely.
- Should be just soft .
- At this point can add 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Then add the curry patta and stir for few minutes.
- Add the sliced onions and saute till a little translucent .
- Add the chopped green chillies (optional)
- Stir for few seconds then add the cut onions .
- Stir gently till onions become slightly soft .
- Onions should be intact ,do not open .
- (Can use pearl onions)
- Then add rice and mix gently.
- Stir for a few minutes.
- Add salt according to taste. Stir .
- Add turmeric more and mix .
- Add coconut milk.
- Mix gently .
- Cooker for 1 whistle, remove from flame.
- Let cooker open naturally.
- When open gently stir the rice .
- Let it rest in cooker for sometime before taking out .
- Can have plain with salad /raita/chicken masala.