Store bought dips and sauces sound so good but they are invariably loaded with oils, sugar and sodium making them very calorie dense.
Growing up we made burgers at home and my mom's rich creamy coleslaw was the star ingredient. I have made some changes to reduce the amount of calories. To make this richer or for a party just added some grated cheese.
This is the perfect replacement for mayo in a sandwich or burger. I love having this as a snack as well.
Sim's Creamy Coleslaw
This simple coleslaw will surprise you with it's creaminess. Use this as a snack on it's own or a substitute for mayo in sandwiches.
- 1 cup home made set curd
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green capsicum
- 1- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 small green chilli (optional)
- Salt & Pepper
Preparing the Curd
- Place the curd in muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water
- Keep in the refrigerator till you prep the other ingredients
- Slice them as thin as possible or use the largest grater slot and grate them
- Place all the vegetables in a bowl and toss with some salt and set aside
- In the meantime add a few drops of oil to a pan and add the chopped garlic while the oil is at room temperature. Let is roast on low flame. Remove once browned and crunch nicely
- Squeeze out any excess water from the vegetables
- Beat the curd into a smooth creamy paste. Like you would whip cream
- Mix the vegetables, roasted garlic, cold thick curd together
- Add salt and pepper powder as needed
- Add a dash of lime juice
- Store in the fridge till you want to serve it
1. Ensure veggies are cut as thin as possible
2. For a creamier coleslaw remove all excess water from the curd. I personally like to put home made curd in a muslin cloth then in a sieve ( like the tea strainer) and leave it in a bowl in the fridge. The excess water will drip into the bowl. You can also tie the muslin cloth to a tap and let the excess water drip. Or you can use greek yoghurt
3. If you are making the curd at home, as soon as it sets transfer it to a fridge. This prevents it from fermenting further and becoming sour.
5. Flavours - you can add some chilli sauce to this to make it into a spicy dip
6. Store in an airtight container in the fridge