Summer is all about mango and cold creamy treats.
My son wants ice cream every day. I told him he could have it, if he made it !!!
Growing up my mom would make kulfi and I thought "let's make kulfi" but the thought of slowly cooking down the milk for hours didn't sound appealing. Definitely not something I can do daily.
I wanted a recipe a 7 year old could make but like all home made popsicles I did not want it to have ice crystals. I wanted a really creamy thick consistency. So while this is the simplest recipe on the planet the steps and technique will make all the difference.
You don't need a fancy mould, you can set this in a bowl, glass, shot glass and just put a small fork in the centre if you don't have sticks.
Makes 3 ice cream sticks In the picture
- 1/2 lt full fat milk made into home made curd
- 2 small alphonso or any sweet mangoes
- jaggery / sugar if required
- Muslin cloth / cheese cloth
- 1 - 2 tbsp of condensed milk ( optional ) or Milk powder
1. When you make the curd, make sure you put it in the fridge as soon as it sets. You don't want it to get sour
2. I set the curd in the morning. Once done I put it in a muslin cloth and made a potli / tightened the cloth
3. Place the muslin cloth and curd on a sieve / big Channi and put it on a big bowl and place in the fridge.
4. The extra water from the curd should drip into the the big bowl.
5. Leave it the fridge whole day or till all the water has dripped out
6. You will get a thick hung curd that is very creamy, a lot like cream cheese
7. Add the hung curd and 2 sweet chopped mangoes to a mixer grinder and blend well
8. Taste the mixture, if it is not sweet enough add some sugar and blend till you reach the sweetness you want.
9. Blend again on high speed for as long as you can before your mixie gets warm. This incorporates air into the mixture.
9. Pour into you moulds, add a stick or fork and leave overnight
1. Make sure the mangoes are sweet
2. Do not let the curd turn sour
3. You can also use a greek yoghurt like Danone or Epigamia
4. Make sure all the water is removed. This will make sure your ice cream stick is creamy and there are there is no ice formation
5. When making any ice cream white sugar gives better consistency than jaggery and helps hold the ice cream together ( Secret : I know this because when I was working, I launched gelato in India and was head of production too !!! )
6. When making any ice cream ensure you use creamy fruits, remove all excess water and have some form of fat (here we have the curd and mango)