- 2 medium-sized eggplants, cut into rounds or strips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- black pepper, chilli flakes to taste
- nonstick cooking spray (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoon low-sugar marinara sauce
- ⅓ cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- ¼ cup low-fat parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup almond flour
- Rinse all the vegetables and preheat oven to 400 F.
- Cover two baking sheets with foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Remove the ends of the eggplants (you do not need to peel the
eggplant) and cut into rounds or long strips.
- Place the eggplant on the baking sheets and brush with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and black pepper. Bake 20–25 minutes.
- In a saute pan, add the mushrooms and onions and cook until the onions
are just beginning to get soft.
- Put the marinara sauce into a medium-size bowl. Mix the mushrooms
and onions into the marinara sauce.
- Spray an 8 x 8 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Add ⅓ of the
marinara sauce and vegetables mixture to the bottom of the pan. Add a layer of
eggplant rounds or strips to cover. Sprinkle with ½ the mozzarella cheese.
Add another layer of sauce and eggplant then, another layer of sauce and
- In a small bowl, mix together Parmesan cheese and almond flour.
- Sprinkle over top of lasagna.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes until cheese is
browned or top begins to crisp.
- Serve with fresh basil.
Press eggplant strips with paper towel to remove excess moisture.