Kala Masur Dal and Vegetable Pulao / Pulav
I do not like complicating things and writing long paragraphs before.
So here is a one pot recipe that's different and yum :)
If you have any questions just leave a comment or email me.
If you make it, please tag me on instagram.
- 1/2 cup black masur dal (Washed and soaked overnight or for 6-8 hrs or soaked in hot water for 3 to 4 hours)
- 1 cup basmati rice (Washed and soaked for 30 minutes)
- 2 medium size onions sliced
- 1 medium size onion sliced fried brown and kept aside)
- 2 tsp of ginger garlic paste
- 1 1/2 carrot cut into cubes
- 10-15 french beans cut into 1" pieces
- 1 potato cut into 8 pieces (optional)
- 1 tomato cut into big pieces or slices ,stir fried in 1 tsp oil and kept aside.
- 4-6 whole green chillies
- 10-12 curry patta leaves
- 3-4 pieces of whole dry red chillies
- 3-4 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 4 green cardamom
- 2 pcs of 1" cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 tsp of peppercorns
- 1 tsp of whole cummin
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp of ghee/oil
- Warm the oil in a pan and add the bay leaves, whole red chillies, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, star anise ,peppercorns and whole cumin and stir fry for a minute or so
- Add the curry patta leaves and stir fry for few seconds
- Add the green chillies and stir fry for few seconds
- Add the sliced onions and stir fry till translucent or transparent
- Add the ginger garlic paste And stir fry till the raw smell of the ginger garlic goes
- When the onions turn beige brown add the cut potato and stir fry for a minute or so
- Add the cut carrots and beans and stir fry for few minutes
- Add the turmeric, red chilli powder and salt to taste and stir fry for few minutes
- Here you can add 2-3 tbsp of water to prevent the masala from sticking to the bottom
- Add 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and mix it in
- Add the soaked kala masur dal and stir fry for few minutes
- Lower the flame and cover and cook for 5-7 minutes
- Now add the rice and mix it in well
- Add the water 1:2 or 1:2 1/4
- Mix everything well
- When the water starts bubbling, cover the pan and lower the flame
- When the rice is 3/4 done add the stir fried tomato and mix it in
- Cover and cook till done .
- Add the remaining chopped coriander leaves
- Mix in the brown onions and cover and leave it for some time
- Can garnish with chopped coriander leaves and brown onions.
Note: Can add more vegetables according to personal preference.
Serve with raita of your choice.