Lauki with Prawns - Lau Chingri
This particular recipe is so simple yet so tasty. You can make just the Lauki this way too and it tastes amazing. Just leave the prawns out.
Simple, quick and so so good. I like to eat this with rice.
This is homestyle Bengali cooking- this one is called Lau Chingri. If we can eat Thai, Chinese, Malaysian food then why not our own Indian cuisines. For variety i eat everything and i love Bengali, Goan, Marwari and Malayali food in particular.
Most Bengali recipes focus on the flavour of natural ingredients over too many masalas. Very little oil is used and usually all non veg is accompanied by a vegetable, balancing the meal beautifully. This is adapted over time and something my mom used to make. I like that it's so flavourful, less masala and so so quick to make. I have personally reached a point where i do not have the time or patience to keep stirring masala for hours.
If you happen to try this or any of my recipes please do tag me on instagram @simrun.chopra and use #nourishwithsim
- 1/2 kg prawns
- 750 gms lauki ( bottle gourd )
- 1 tsp jeera ( cumin seeds )
- 3 - 4 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp haldi
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 3 - 5 whole green chillies slit through the middle
- hand full chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Mustard oil ( can use a different oil too but this recipes taste best with mustard oil)
- Chop the lauki or bottle gourd into cubes
- Toss the prawns in haldi and salt in a little oil and keep aside
- In the same oil add the jeera and bay leaves
- Add a few of the green chillies
- Add the lauki
- Add the salt, haldi and chilli powder
- Cook till the lauki leaves it own water ( do not add any additional water )
- Add the remaining green chillies and chopped coriander leaves
- Once the Lauki is cooked add the cooked prawns and cook for a few minutes
- Serve hot with rice
- Leave out the prawns
- Add more coriander leaves at the end
Haldi = turmeric powder
Lauki = bottle gourd
Leave a comment