Moong Dal Pulao
(Both moong dal-- with the skin split (green )& (yellow )without skin)
- 3 tbsp ghee / oil for vegan option
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- 1/3 cup green(slit) moong dal (little less than 1/3)
- 1/4 cup moong dal (yellow)
- 1 tbsp channa dal
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 medium size onion chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chillies
- 3-4 curry leaves chopped fine
- 1-2 tbsp of green peas
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Wash all the dals and rice well together and soak it for 30 minutes
- Take a pressure cooker ,place on the flame then add the ghee to the cooker
- When the ghee becomes warm add the whole cumin and the asafoetida
- As the cumin starts spluttering add the chopped garlic and ginger and stir fry for a minute or so
- Now add the chopped onion and stir fry till translucent
- Then add the chopped green chillies and chopped curry patta leaves
- Stir fry for 30-40 seconds, then add the salt to taste and the turmeric powder
- Stir fry for 30-40 seconds
- Drain the water from the soaked dal and rice
- Then add the rice and dals to the cooker and stir fry for 1 minute or so
- Add the peas and stir fry for few seconds
- Lastly add the water mix well ,can check for salt at this stage .
- Close the lid of the cooker and cook for 1 whistle ,switch of the flame .
- Let the pressure cooker open naturally .
- Remove the lid and puff up the rice with a spoon .
- Can serve with any vegetable or kadi or raita
- Note : on opening cooker if you feel rice should be softer ,then sprinkle a little water on the rice ,put back the lid of the pressure cooker and cook till it catches, immediately switch of flame and let the cooker open naturally.