I love pumpkin and Kerela and this combination is brilliant with its slightly sweet and bitter flavours. Perfect with a simple daal and rice.
SIM-ple doesn't mean basic. Good things don't have to be complicated. .
- 500gms orange pumpkin
- 1 big bitter gourd
- 2 tsp oil (preferably mustard oil or any oil of your choice)
- 1/2 tsp black jeera/kalonji / onion seeds
- 2-3 slitted green chillies
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- Red chilli powder according to taste
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- Cut the pumpkin with the skin into short thin sticks and the cut the bitter gourd into thin strips and keep aside. Remove the seeds of the bitter gourd.
- Take a kadhai add the oil in it , if you are using mustard oil need to heat the oil to the point till it becomes quite hot .Switch off the stove let it cool a little, so that the ingredients do not burn .If you are using any other oil ,just heat it a little .
- Add the black jeera /kalonji/onion seeds and the slitted green chillies
- When the green chillies and the kala jeera gets fragrant add the cut bitter gourd and the cut pumpkin
- Stir fry for few minutes Then add salt , turmeric powder, red chilli powder according to taste
- Stir fry for few minutes
- Cover and cook till half done ,keep stirring in between
- Then add the sugar mix it in well, now cover and continue to cook on low flame till the vegetables are cooked.