Veg Stew for the Soul
This warm creamy veg stew is everything you need. Simple to make and such delicate flavours. I love having it with dosa though my son prefers to eat it with rice.
Ingredients for the base :
- 2 Carrots cut in 1" pieces
- 10-15 French beans to be cut in 1 " pieces
- 1/2 cup of peas
- 1/2 a cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste
Ingredients for the stew
- 1 big onion to be cut in big cubes
- 3 - 4 Green Chillies, slit through the center
- 1 cup of thick coconut milk
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp of unflavoured or coconut oil
To prepare the vegetables
- Put the carrots, beans, peas and cauliflower in a pressure cooker along with 1 cup of water and a pinch of salt
- Place the lid and weight of the pressure cooker and cook on medium for 1 whistle
- Switch off the heat and set aside to allow the pressure cooker to release pressure.
- Carefully open once all the pressure has been released
To prepare the stew
- Heat the oil on medium heat and add the bay leaves, chopped garlic, ginger and slit green chillies and cook till then raw smell is gone and the ginger and garlic start to change colour.
- Add the large chopped onions and stir fry for a minute or less
- Add the cooked vegetables along with the remaining water ands stir gently for a few minutes. Taking care not to break the vegetables.
- Turn down the heat to low or a low flame and slowly add in the coconut milk
- Taste the curry for salt and add salt as required.
- Continue to cook the stew on low flame till it starts bubbling
- Remove from flame and garnish with 1 tbsp chopped coriander (optional)
- Coconut Milk : use fresh or packaged or powdered as is available
- Oil : use a neutral flavoured oil like refined oil or ghee or coconut oil. Avoid using strong flavoured oils like olive oil, mustard oil or sesame oil that have a flavour of their own.
Leave a comment