A high protein vegetarian salad. You can have this on your own as a meal or share it as a side. It is a quick recipe that is well balanced.
- 1/2 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 1 cup cooked, drained kidney beans ( rajma)
- 1/2 cup diced bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup cucumber
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa under cold water, then combine it with 1 cup of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked and the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- Prepare the kidney beans mixture: In a mixing bowl, combine the drained kidney beans, diced bell peppers, diced red onion, and chopped cilantro.
- Add seeds and nuts: Mix in the pumpkin seeds and chopped almonds with the kidney bean mixture.
- Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
- Combine everything: Add the cooked quinoa to the black bean mixture. Pour the dressing over the mixture and toss everything together until well combined.
- Optional : Enjoy a small banana as a magnesium-rich dessert alongside the meal.
Here are the approximate nutritional values for the provided recipe:
Calories: Around 490 kcal
- Protein: Approximately 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 65 grams
- Fats: Approximately 16 grams
Micronutrients (Approximate values for an adult woman):
- Vitamin A: About 168% DV
- Vitamin C: Approximately 163% DV
- Calcium: Around 16% DV
- Iron: About 32% DV
- Potassium: Approximately 24% DV
- Magnesium: About 49% DV
- Zinc: Approximately 23% DV