This SIMple hot chocolate tastes like hot melted chocolate in a cup.Try this low calorie version every time you crave chocolate and you'll thank me.
I prefer to use unsweetened cocoa powder as this helps control the amount of sugar you want to add.
You can use any sweetener of your choice. If you just keep boiling this down slowly you get a chocolate sauce. It's that simple.
If you want to make the sauce more indulgent, just add a tiny bit of butter at the end.
The Best Hot Chocolate for the Soul
chocolate cravings dessert
5 undefined minutes
This is one of my 'quick to table' recipes. You can even put it in the 'make-ahead' recipe list and use it for multiple things. If you are looking to switch out your evening tea or coffee or need a quick chocolate fix post dinner, try the hot chocolate version.
- 1 heaped tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 inch square of jaggery (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup water
- Mix the cocoa powder into room temperature water
- Mix till there are no lumps remaining
- Add the jaggery or sweetener and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes
- Once it starts to boil down, reduce to about 3/4 cup
- Switch off when you think its thick enough
- Sprinkle with Chocolate Powder and serve hot
I love to dust some cocoa powder just before serving
Make sure you taste a little and adjust the sweetener to your liking
I also like to mix half and half cocoa and cacao powder
Gives you all the gooey-ness of chocolate and its benefits without the unnecessary calories
SIMple Tip : Simmer it down to half cup to get a rich chocolate dipping sauce.